Heroic train crew sᴀᴠᴇ bobcat frozen to tracks minutes before train sped by

A wild bobcat found itself in a very tricky situation, after its hind paws got frozen on the train tracks in British Columbia. Fortunately, the helpless animal got a second chance, thanks to a train crew who sᴀᴠᴇᴅ ɪᴛ in the nick of time. But it wasn’t an easy ʀᴇsᴄᴜᴇ though as a train was about to pass by within minutes and the sᴄᴀʀᴇᴅ animal was pretty difficult to approach.

It was just a regular day at the office for Coby Reid – who works as a railroad inspector in Trail, BC – and his colleagues. It was pretty early in the morning when the crew begun the tracks inspection as part of their daily routine. The team has to make sure there are no obstacles on the trails. Only this time, it wasn’t like that. Just when they got close to the Columbia River, they spotted something stuck on the tracks.

As the crew got closer, the men realized there was a bobcat. A young bobcat was sitting in the center of the tracks, seemingly unconcerned that he was holding up traffic. The bobcat’s hind paws were frozen to the tracks. In front of it, a breakfast of fresh duck. “The cat was reposed on his haunches with one arm leaned casually over the rail, as though he were reclining in an armchair,” Reid told.

With a train fast approaching behind them, Reid knew they had to get the wild animal to safety, so he tried to cover the bobcat with his jacket to warm him up. “At first we approached it, and we were going to actually cover it up with a coat,” before freeing it, Reid told Radio West host Sarah Penton. But, the bobcat didn’t seem too happy about wearing clothes.

“We took a moment to think about the situation before deciding to call our office to ask someone to bring us a pail of hot water to help ꜰʀᴇᴇ the unfortunate cat from the rail,” Reid said. “A short while later, our boss arrived, water in hand and ready to assist.”

Within an hour from when they first found it, the bobcat was freed, but Reid says it wasn’t quite ready to give up its prime dining location. Or, more likely, didn’t want to part with its half-eaten waterfowl. “With a bit of coaxing and more warm water, the cat was free,” Reid said.

Reid says they had to sᴄᴀʀᴇ him off, then chucked the leftovers to the side. And luck was with the bobcat that day because a train sped through about 30 minutes after he left.

Friday morning, during another track inspection, Reid said he spotted some bobcat tracks along the rail in the same area. “We know he’s doing well,” he said.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *