A Detroit man ᴅɪᴇᴅ in a house ꜰɪʀᴇ while trying to ʀᴇsᴄᴜᴇ his dogs — from the smoke and flames. Eight of his 11 dogs made it out, but their owner, did not.
“This is his little baby right here,” said Markchez Stokes holding a French bulldog.
The incident unfolded a little after midnight, on Monday morning. Firefighters received a call about a house ꜰɪʀᴇ in Gardendale in the Green Acres neighborhood. Gary Majors’ home was on ꜰɪʀᴇ and even as heavy smoke poured out of windows on the second floor, he remained inside.
His family and friends say he got his frenchies and a client’s American bulldog to safety.
“He was trying to get his dogs up out the house – running in and out trying to put the ꜰɪʀᴇ out with the ꜰɪʀᴇ extinguisher,” said Kenneth Young. “I guess the smoke must have got him, but he was ᴛʀʏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ sᴀᴠᴇ his dogs.”
But he could not sᴀᴠᴇ them all – at least two of his French bulldogs ᴅɪᴇᴅ in the ꜰɪʀᴇ alongside him.
“He loved his dogs,” Young said. “Those dogs were like his kids, precious joy to him.”
Majors was reportedly a very popular dog trainer in the neighborhood whose pups would perform in fog shows. But more than dog lover, those who knew Majors best, say he was just a kind-hearted man.
The Detroit ꜰɪʀᴇ Department is reportedly still investigating how the ꜰɪʀᴇ started, but friends and family believe a space heater could have been the cause.
After the story was spread, many people expressed their ʀᴇɢʀᴇᴛ over his brave ᴘᴀssɪɴɢ.
One person commented: “May he Rest in ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇ knowing he sᴀᴠᴇᴅ 8 of his beautiful dogs. May the few who sᴀᴅʟʏ didn’t make it, ʀᴇsᴛ ɪɴ ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇ.”
Another person wrote: “Cᴏɴᴅᴏʟᴇɴᴄᴇs to his family and co workers. May God Bless him abundantly in paradise”
“As you are now in heaven thank you for being a hero. Now you can be with heavens pets.”